2012/03/03

Photoshoots: Spectator, Then Cameraman

Sorry if I haven't written in some time, but my son was hospitalized for a rota virus-induced dehydration: family takes precedence on blogging, don't take it personally.

Today Kaz had photoshoot for a kids clothing catalog. We got there early, and of course I scoped out the gear and stuff. And this is what I saw: Holy hand grenade, Batman! It was literally too much for the job, considering the print quality and size of the output, but I imagine the photographer gets other work which justify the gear. Of course, though, Kaz gave his best smiles when we said goodbye to the crew of 12 or so on location. We rewarded him with some play time at a nearby park, before heading home for his nap.

Later that day, Kazuo, a capoerista friend, came by our neighborhood for a photoshoot for the upcoming Soho Gallery group exhibition. This time, the theme is black and white portraits. This picture means a lot to me for several reasons. Of course Kazuo is a good friend, and he's always on hand to give good advice during the capoeira lessons, so I'm happy to take his picture and allow him to use them when he joins dance events. Also, the move he is performing is the one I did when I dislocated my shoulder last December (although mine don't look anywhere as good as his): I guess I'm exorcising some demons. Finally, since the purpose of the exhibition is to explore the definition of a portrait, I thought that an environmental action like this adds to the conversation.

I'm not sure if this is the final version, I'm still tweaking the post-production, but I'm pretty sure this is the shot I will use, even if some of the others, not necessarily in action, are quite worthy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment